Dr. Shafagh aka Shan Monazzam is Board Certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in hip and knee replacements. He is specially trained in robotic assisted total and partial knee surgeries, anterior hip replacements and complex joint revisions surgeries.
Education and Training
Dr. Monazzam completed both his undergraduate and medical school at the University of California, San Diego. During that time, Dr. Monazzam worked with the UCSD Student-Run Free Clinic helping to expand the care they offered including founding a free Orthopedic and Physical Therapy clinic.
After completing a surgical intern year at the University of California, San Diego Medical Center, he dedicated two years to research at Rady’s Children San Diego trying to better develop the scientific basis of how complex hip abnormalities develop. Dr. Monazzam completed his Orthopedic residency at University of California Davis gaining experience and training in all types of Orthopedic care.
Dr. Monazzam completed an Adult Reconstruction (Joint Replacement) fellowship at the University of Chicago with Dr. Henry Finn a world renowned primary and revision Orthopedic surgeon and Dr. Hue Luu a leading expert in robotic assisted joint replacements.
Dr. Monazzam grew up in Southern California. His parents, Physical Therapist Jafar Monazzam and director Sheepa Seekaroudy established South Gate Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Center in 1994. They instilled the idea of providing quality care in areas with the greatest need. After completing his training and coming back home, Dr. Monazzam and his wife Alicia Monazzam NP decided to follow in his parents’ footsteps in establishing Advanced Care Orthopedics in the same community they had been serving for more than 25 years.
- Shelton TJ; Monazzam S; Calafi A; Leshikar HB; Haus BM. Preoperative 3D Modeling and Printing for Guiding Periacetabular Osteotomy. J Pediatr Orthop. 2021 Mar 1;41(3):149-158
- Monazzam S, Williams KA, Shelton TJ, Calafi A, Haus BM. Anterior centre-edge angle on sagittal CT: a comparison of normal hips to dysplastic hips. Hip Int.2018;28(5):535-541.
- Meehan JP, Monazzam S, Miles T, Danielsen B, White RH. Postoperative Stiffness Requiring Manipulation Under Anesthesia Is Significantly Reduced After Simultaneous Versus Staged Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am.2017;99(24):2085-2093.
- Monazzam S, Goodell PB, Salcedo ES, Nelson SH, Wolinsky PR. When are CT angiograms indicated for patients with lower extremity fractures? A review of 275 extremities. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016.
- Nelson EM, Monazzam SM, Kim KD, Seibert JA, Klineberg EO. Intraoperative fluoroscopy, portable X-ray, and CT: patient and operating room personnel radiation exposure in spinal surgery. Spine J. 2014;14:2985-2991.
- Nelson EM, Monazzam SM, Kim KD, Siebert JA, Klineberg EO. Intraoperative fluoroscopy, portable X-ray, and computed tomography: patient and operating room personnel radiation exposure in spinal surgery-Author Response. Spine J. 2015;15:799-800.
- Lowe JB, Monazzam S, Walton B, Nelson E, Wolinsky PR. How to Use Fluoroscopic Imaging to Prevent Intraarticular Screw Perforation During Locked Plating of Proximal Humerus Fractures: A Cadaveric Study. J Orthop Trauma. 2015;29:e401-407.
- Monazzam S, Agashe M, Hosalkar HS. Reliability of overcoverage parameters with varying morphologic pincer features: comparison of EOS(R) and radiography. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013;471:2578-2585.
- Monazzam S, Bomar JD, Agashe M, Hosalkar HS. Does femoral rotation influence anteroposterior alpha angle, lateral center-edge angle, and medial proximal femoral angle? A pilot study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013;471:1639-1645.
- Monazzam S, Bomar JD, Cidambi K, Kruk P, Hosalkar H. Lateral center-edge angle on conventional radiography and computed tomography. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013;471:2233-2237.
- Monazzam S, Bomar JD, Dwek JR, Hosalkar HS, Pennock AT. Development and prevalence of femoroacetabular impingement-associated morphology in a paediatric and adolescent population: a CT study of 225 patients. Bone Joint J. 2013;95-B:598-604.
- Dwek JR, Monazzam S, Chung CB. Radiologic analysis of femoral acetabular impingement: from radiography to MRI. Pediatr Radiol. 2013;43 Suppl 1:S61-70.
- Monazzam S, Bomar JD, Pennock AT. Idiopathic Cam Morphology Is Not Caused by Subclinical Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: An MRI and CT Study. Orthop J Sports Med. 2013;1:2325967113512467.
- Monazzam S, Dwek JR, Hosalkar HS. Multiplanar CT assessment of femoral head displacement in slipped capital femoral epiphysis. Pediatr Radiol. 2013;43:1599-1605.
- Monazzam S, Krishnamoorthy V, Bittersohl B, Bomar JD, Hosalkar HS. Is the acetabulum retroverted in slipped capital femoral epiphysis? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013;471:2145-2150.
- Monazzam S, Newton PO, Bastrom TP, Yaszay B. Multicenter Comparison of the Factors Important in Restoring Thoracic Kyphosis During Posterior Instrumentation for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine Deformity. 2013;1:359-364.
- Monazzam S, Calafi A, Haus B. 3D Modeling with Intraoperative 3D Printed Models Predict Postoperative Hip Coverage Parameters in Peri-Acetabular Osteotomy. AAOS 2018 Podium
- Monazzam S, Miles T, Danielsen B, White RH. Meehan JP, Manipulation under Anesthesia is Significantly Reduced after Simultaneous-Bilateral versus Staged-Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. AAOS 2018 Poster
- Monazzam S, Williams K, Calafi A, Shelton T, Haus B. Normal anterior center edge angle on Sagittal Computed Tomography: A study of 320 patients. POSNA 2017 Poster, PRiSM 2018 podium
- Monazzam S, Calafi A, Haus B. The Use of Preoperative 3D Modeling and Printing for guiding Peri-Acetabular Osteotomy in Hip Dysplasia. POSNA 2017 Poster
- Monazzam S, Goodell P, Salcedo E, Nelson S, Wolinsky P When are CT angiograms indicated for patients’ with lower extremity fractures? Poster 2015 OTA, Podium 2016 AAOS
- Lowe L, Monazzam S, Walton B, Nelson E, Wolinsky P. How to prevent intra-articular screw perforation during locked plating of proximal humerus fractures with fluoroscopy: a cadaveric study. Podium 2014 OTA
- Monazzam S, Bomar JD, Pennock A.T. Idiopathic Cam Morphology is not caused by subclinical slipped capital femoral epiphysis: A MRI and CT study. Podium 2014 AAOS
- Monazzam S, Krishnamoorthy V, Bittersohl B, Bomar J, Hosalkar H. Acetabular Morphology in Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: A Computed Tomography study. Poster 2013 AAOS
- Monazzam S, Bomar J, Hosalkar H, Pennock A. At What Age Do Cam and Pincer Morphology Become Apparent: An Analysis of 225Pediatric And Adolescent CT Scans. Podium 2012 ISHA, Podium 2013 AAOS and 2013 POSNA.
- Monazzam S, Newton P, Bastrom T, Yaszay B, Harms Study Group. Multi Center Comparison of the Factors Important in Restoring Thoracic Kyphosis During Posterior Instrumentation for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Presented at 2011 SRS, 2012 AAOS , 2012 AAP